Day5 – The last two of our 10 Golden Rules of Governance:
Make the board aware of its legal obligations, individual and collective!
- Act for the charity, not for self nor for your nominating body.
- Make sure charity does not operate insolvently.
- Declare all conflicts of interest and step outside.
Take external professional advice on issues which might place the charity at risk e.g. employment and health and safety procedures.
Be on the money!
- Demand proper accounts and reports to the board regularly.
- Remind everyone that if there are funds, they are to be used!
- Remind everyone that if there are no funds, they are to be raised!
You can also find these 10 golden rules neatly packaged to download, ready to pin on your wall here: Aim-museums.co.uk . ‘Brass tacks’ not included.
We’d love to hear your experiences, thoughts and bits of wisdom which support successful governance of museums. Why not use the comments section below,talk to us on twitter @aimuseums or our Facebook page ( Association-of-Independent-Museums) .